[ale] Need to connect to a MS Access database from Linux

Kevin O'Neill Stoll kevinostoll at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 14:00:50 EST 2005

Thinking out of the box here but ....

You could convert your Access Database to Mysql using this
tool: http://www.convert-in.com/acc2sql.htm

I know you said you have to use Access but stay with me
here...

Write your app on linux, all reads, writes, deletes occur
on the linux/mysql master database. Then, using
http://www.mysql.com/products/connector/odbc/ MySQL's ODBC
connector, installed on the NT box - map all of your tables
in the Access database to this datasource.

This preserves all of your queries, reports, macros,
etc.... in access but allows you to write your app in
linux. If fact I use a versus of this for a person in my
office who does nothing but write reports from the master
data on a linux box, running mysql and a web based java
app. Works very well.

Also, if you are worried about the impact that the access
queries/actions will have on the live application you could
replicate the data to a local copy on the nt host and have
the access database point it's odbc to localhost:3306.

And, to address security ...

If you use the replication technique just replication over
built in ssl in mysql. Or in the 1st example just an ssh
tunnel to connect to the linux/mysql instance, the later
being how I do it.

Hope that helps.

--- gchendry at bellsouth.net wrote:
> Need to connect to a MS Access database from Linux
>
> Specifics:
> Yes, I have to use MS Access : (
>
> I have a Linux server that has a samba mounted directory
> from a NT server containing the MS Access database. Thus
> I have local access to the database file.
> I want to write standalone Java and tomcat:JSP programs
> on the Linux server to access this database.
>
> I have been reading a lot of forms on this issue, and
> most if not all solutions contain middleware running on
> the MS platform to listen for jdbc remote calls.
> I would like to stay away from any and all MS dependant
> components.
> Warning, there are some java examples on the web on how
> to do this but they are for a  MS platform, they don't
> tell you that and lead you to think it is a solution.
>
> The best solution I see available right now is :RmiJdbc :
> Client/Server JDBC Driver Based on Java RMI :
> http://rmijdbc.objectweb.org/
> It is free, but requires a middleware component running
> on the MS server side.
>
> Need Ideas, anybody have any?
>
> If it comes down to buying an ODBC driver I'll do it. 've
> tried to find one,  but reading through all the red tape
> to find what I need is a time synch.  Recommendations?

Kevin Stoll
http://kevinstoll.com/

OpenSource Software...FREE!
Angering Bill Gates...priceless.