[ale] SMP support for CentOS 4.0 i386

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 21:51:58 EST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:50:54 -0500 (EST), Chris Ricker
<kaboom at oobleck.net> wrote:

> free, if you don't mind no support and have one of the approximately 3 PCs
> (or pretty much any Ultrasparc) it runs on.

Ok, let's stop right there. S10 runs on darn near every x86 server
produced in the past three years by the big three (HPaq, IBM, Dell)
and I have it up and running on a variety of mainstream desktops as
well as one rather obscure laptop. The HCL is located at
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl if you'd like to see for yourself. It
does not list the aforementioned  "darn near every x86 server produced
in the past three years by the big three" but one can look at that
list and draw their own conclusions. Furthermore, in almost any
context, S10 support is cheaper than RHAS. The facts are the facts.

This should be considered more of a slam against RH than an outright
endorsement of Sun, for those wondering if I have totally gone over
the edge. I'll admit to being at the edge looking down though. Of
course Slackware is still the same, whether you pay for it or leech
it. ;)

--
Jonathan