[ale] Re: [Resolved] Any Navicat users??

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 21:26:01 EST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:22:10 -0500, Greg Freemyer
<greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:37:39 -0500, Greg Freemyer
> <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to restore a mysql backup created by Navicat.  I have it
> > on CD, but I suspect I need to copy it somewhere Navicat expects to
> > find it.
> >
> > I have never used Navicat before, but I have it installed and seems to
> > be working.  ie. I can see my databases and tables.  For now I have
> > set my config directory to /tmp, so Navicat has full access to it.
> >
> > When I click restore backup, nothing happens.  I was hoping to get a
> > dialog box asking me for a pathname.
> >
> > Surprisingly, I tried to create a backup just so I could see the
> > structure Navicat uses for backups, but that is failing.  But I'm just
> > given "Backup Unsuccessful".  A directory does get created in /tmp by
> > name of my database.  And I get a gzip error message about can't find
> > file /tmp/my-database/random-file
> >
> > I'm not sure where to go from here.  Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > One other small complaint, I have to re-create the connection every
> > time I launch Navicat.  ie. It does not seem to be saving the config
> > info.  Possibly this is related.
> >
> > FYI: This is all with the latest version of Navicat and SUSE 9.2 Professional
> >
> > --
> > Greg
> > --
> > Greg Freemyer
> > The Norcross Group
> > Forensics for the 21st Century
> >

> I made a little progress.  I copied the backup from the CD to
> /tmp/my-database (from above).  Now the backups show up in the backup
> window.  But I can't retore them, nor can I create new backups.
>
> I'm afraid it is time to give up on Linux Navicat and do this from Windows. :(
>
> --
> Greg
> --
> Greg Freemyer
> The Norcross Group
> Forensics for the 21st Century

For the archives, I resolved the problem.

The backups from the windows version were compressed with windows compression.

The fix was to execute "expand backup.pmb" on a windows box.  The
expanded file was a collection of SQL statements to rebuild and
populate the DB.

So, copy the expanded file back to Linux and then from mysql, do a
'source backup;'.

FYI: on linux the pmb files use gzip compression.

Greg