[ale] SMP support for CentOS 4.0 i386

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Mar 24 15:50:15 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 15:22, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> One reason I started working primarily with Linux was that I was tired
> of arbitrary license cost hikes based on things that don't cost the
> vendor more money to supply, i.e., number-of-CPU limits, client access
> limits, charging by number of CPUs times clock speed
> (coughORACLEcough)...

When you have a small market then you have have to charge more.
everybody probably has a license of Windows and not one of Oracle.  When
your unit numbers go up your COGS go down.

RH is providing a service by packaging up software in a package that
makes it easy to install.  If they want to charge for that then they
have a right to.  I'm only against them charging more per CPU or CPU
type.  The only reason I'm against it is because the kernel is OSS and
not theirs.  If they were SCO then so be it.  They can charge what they
want.

Producing software costs reals dollars.  I don't think many people on
this list really understand the costs that are involved.  The great
thing about software is is the repeat sales can lower the COGS on the
product unlike hardware.  A company can spend 5 million producing a
software product. If you sell 5 million copies then the COGS on each
copy can be reduce to around $2.00 or less depending on percentage of
overhead.

Oracle invested millions and millions in their product and continues to
invest millions each year.  I'm sure they don't sale millions ad
millions of license each year like MS does for Windows.  They have to
make the money up somewhere otherwise they'll have to product that is
sub-standard.