[ale] Problem with Earthlink's mail server

James Baldwin jbaldwin at antinode.net
Thu Mar 24 00:53:59 EST 2005

On 23 Mar 2005, at 20:30, Christopher Fowler wrote:

> MY mail relay is having a serious problem with Earthlink's mail server.
> In the old days a remote mail server would accept a file larger than
> allowed and then send a bounceback to the sender.

I would like to think that terminating with a proper reply code rather
than sending a bounce back is better way of doing things than "the old
days". It conserves resources.

> Earthlink does not do
> that.  It terminates the connection.  This causes sendmail to think
> there is a problem and then reties constantly.

Are they terminating with a 4yz? 5yz? Or just dropping the connection?
---
James Baldwin
hkp://pgp.mit.edu/jbaldwin@antinode.net
"Syntatic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon."