[ale] OT: Question regarding whining monitors (for you EEs out there)

zeb n4zm at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 21 16:56:28 EST 2005

On Monday 21 March 2005 02:57 pm, James P. Kinney III wrote:

My two cents:  There are loose laminations in the flyback transformer.

Forty years ago I could tell if a television was turned on without seeing the
picture tube.  The horizontal flyback in TV sets operates at 15,750 cps (this
was in the days before Hertz),  The induced currents cause the laminations to
vibrate, producing a whistle at 15,750.  I tested my hearing with an audio
oscillator and my "hi-fi" system (I told you it was a while ago).  I could
hear at least to 17,000 cps.  Whether my speaker cut out or my hearing cut
out was not determined.  I remember hearing Galton whistles at 23,000 cps in
Psychology class in college.

Sometimes the laminations can be tightened by tightening the mounting screws.
Perhaps it could be replaced.  A flyback transformer from a similar set with
a defective CRT?  Perhaps some sort of "damper" (epoxy?) might stop the
vibrations.

I don't think capacitors or solid state devices are to blame.

Please, let us know the problem and the fix.

Zeb