[ale] Determining USB transfer speed

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Sat Mar 19 18:21:14 EST 2005

I can't answer you question but in my experience USB drives are dog
slow.  I use rsync to backup my Mac to a  30 gig firewire drive.  Took
about 2 hrs to back up approx 40 gig , compressing the first time but
it fit.   Runs about 15 minutes to update the changes now.  I bought a
bigger drive because I was knew I would be out of room soon.  USB 40
gig drive.  The same rsync command took 14 hours to complete to the USB
drive.  I haven't tried yet but somehow I think it will take longer to
do differential back up too.