[ale] editing variables in bash (or shell)

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 16:08:16 EST 2005

I'm writing a script to crawl my data disk and collect a bunch of
similar files in one place.

I can use find to make the list of files.

Then I can use a construct like:

cat /tmp/files | while read orig_file_name
do
echo $orig_file_name
done

to print out the list of files I need to collect.

Now I want to collect them in one place without losing the detail of
where they came from.

I'm thinking something like this would work:

cp /data/path/file ./data-path-file

To do that, I need to create a variable dest_file_name that takes the
'/' and replaces them with '-' chars.  I know you can do that in the
shell, but I've forgotten how.

Any assistance?

Thanks
Greg