[ale] sandisk smartmedia card via a USB reader under Fedora

Yu, Jerry Jerry.Yu at Voicecom.com
Fri Mar 4 08:10:01 EST 2005

I had this nagging problem. the card/reader shows up as sda1. I can mount it and start to copy files off it. Then it will hang at random place (after 1 or 6 photos, each 400K).  A few minutes timed out. /dev/sda1 no longer accessible. At the same time, the same smartmedia card shows up as sdb1 (seen from 'dmesg') !  If I mount this new 'sdb1', it will work flawless from that point on. what gives?!

USB on this box is a little messy.  I have two USB1.1 ports built in on a asus P4b motherboard with two extra usb2.0 ports on a PCI usb card. The USB2.0 reader is plugged into one of the added USB2.0 ports. OS is Fedora  Core 2 with all patches up-2-date on a PII 400 / 256M PC100 SDRAM.

This email and any attached files herein contain information that is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable laws. If the reader of this message is not the recipient, any disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use or retention of this communication or its substance is prohibited.