[ale] Hosting, RH vs. RH vs.

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Thu Mar 3 13:45:33 EST 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 01:22:05PM -0500, Grady Harris wrote:
> OS is RedHat Enterprise Linux AS 3, but other  options seem available, such as
> Fedora Core. Any reason to prefer one over the other?
>
> What I'm looking for is a fairly complete & updated environment for doing things
> with XML documents, & the tools I'm more familiar with in that are in Java and
> Python. At home, I've been using Gentoo steadily for the past year & a

Fedora Core is ahead of the curve in technology adoption, while RHEL is
supposed to be stabler and certified with non-OSS offerings such as Java
and Oracle.  Not saying that you couldn't get those offerings to work
under Fedora, but don't expect much support beyond what you find on the
independent bulletin boards.

Given your recent distro of choice, I'd say go with Fedora Core 3.  It
also couldn't hurt to ask the provider what their migration plans are for
FC4 (now due sometime after Memorial Day).