[ale] Switching from KDE to Gnome

Davis, Ringo Lester rdavis at panasonicatlanta.com
Thu Mar 3 09:31:35 EST 2005

Thanks, I'll try that tonight.
Ringo

-----Original Message-----
From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org] On Behalf Of
Geoffrey
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 8:11 AM
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [ale] Switching from KDE to Gnome

ringo wrote:
> Thanks, I'll dig around in Yast for a while. Here is why I'm talking
> about switching to Gnome.
> I'm working on a robot that is controlled by a laptop via the serial
> port. I'm writing the code in C. I would like to start doing some
basic
> graphics so I can draw a mp of where the robot has been. Just grids or
> 2d array of rectangles, that sort of thing. Since I have a lot of
stuff
> already written in C I would rather not switch langs to python or
> something and have to start over. I have a book called "Beginning
Linux
> Programming" That covers TCL, perl, etc. The only thing I have seen so
> far that is in C if Gnome-GTK. The book says you have to be running
> gnome to use it. I tried compiling a sample program from a KDE
terminal
> window and it could not find things like gnome.h.
> So, I'm assuming I need to use gnome for this to work, is this
correct?
> Is there another easy way to do some easy graphics and Gui stuff? I'm
> hardware guy, not a programmer so the easier the better.

You don't actually need to be running gnome, just have it installed. I
personally prefer gnome over kde, but since you're knew to Linux, I'd
suggest you stick with KDE.

Open Yast and select the option to install and remove software. Change
the filter from 'Search' to 'Selections.'  Here you will find 'Gnome
system' which is what you will want to install.

If you still want to get gnome running to check it out, once you install

it, you should be able to select it from the X login window.  If your
box boots directly to X, not requiring a login, it's a bit more
involved.

Let me know if this is the case and I'll provide more info.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

 --Appended by Panasonic Mobile Communications
 Development Corporation of U.S.A.-----This e-mail
 and any attachments may contain information that is
 confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise
 protected by law. The information is solely intended
 for the named addressee (or a person responsible for
 delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the
 intended recipient of this message, you are not
 authorized to read, print, retain, copy or
 disseminate this message or any part of it. If you
 have received this e-mail in error, please notify
 the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete
 it from your computer.