[ale] Switching from KDE to Gnome

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Mar 3 08:17:25 EST 2005

ringo wrote:
> Thanks, I'll dig around in Yast for a while. Here is why I'm talking
> about switching to Gnome.
> I'm working on a robot that is controlled by a laptop via the serial
> port. I'm writing the code in C. I would like to start doing some basic
> graphics so I can draw a mp of where the robot has been. Just grids or a
> 2d array of rectangles, that sort of thing. Since I have a lot of stuff
> already written in C I would rather not switch langs to python or
> something and have to start over. I have a book called "Beginning Linux
> Programming" That covers TCL, perl, etc. The only thing I have seen so
> far that is in C if Gnome-GTK. The book says you have to be running
> gnome to use it. I tried compiling a sample program from a KDE terminal
> window and it could not find things like gnome.h.
> So, I'm assuming I need to use gnome for this to work, is this correct?
> Is there another easy way to do some easy graphics and Gui stuff? I'm a
> hardware guy, not a programmer so the easier the better.

You don't actually need to be running gnome, just have it installed. I
personally prefer gnome over kde, but since you're knew to Linux, I'd
suggest you stick with KDE.

Open Yast and select the option to install and remove software. Change
the filter from 'Search' to 'Selections.'  Here you will find 'Gnome
system' which is what you will want to install.

If you still want to get gnome running to check it out, once you install
it, you should be able to select it from the X login window.  If your
box boots directly to X, not requiring a login, it's a bit more involved.

Let me know if this is the case and I'll provide more info.

--
Until later, Geoffrey