[ale] Laptop recommendation

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Thu Jul 21 06:38:31 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 20 July 2005 05:26 pm, I. Herman wrote:
> This may not be the most popular on the list...but if you're going to
> spend over $1500, i'd entertain a Apple Powerbook.  OS X is built on
> Darwin, which is the Apple PPC version of FreeBSD essentially.  I
> have one and i LOVE it.

I looked at PBs 16 months ago when I bought my Dell.  I opt for Del for two
reasons: Apple is noticably more expensive, but far more importantly, the
resolution on those things is crappy.  I seem to recall 1440x900 (or there
abouts) was the largest display you could get, and that was  $3000 system.

Dell doesn't directly support Linux on there laptops, but most of them work
pretty well with it.  You can generally find many pages on the web about
configuring linux for each piece of hardware.

David