[ale] Cat and Keyboard issues

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Jul 20 12:34:05 EDT 2005

Bwahahaha! When I had my furline keepers with access to the keyboards I
got in the habit of keeping the keyboard either tipped up vertical or
closed up in a keyboard tray under the monitor. Two other suggestions: a
rigid keyboard cover or a faster screen lock.

A side story: Back when a 17" monitor was seriously huge and expensive,
a friends cat loved to sleep on top of the monitor since it was very
warm (you can see where this is going...). As expected, the monitor
finally "tinked" and died. So we opened the case to find a full 2" thick
layer of orange tomcat insulation on everything. The deepest layer (next
to the components) had actually deformed from the heat and slightly
melted onto the really hot parts.

Side story #2: One of furry disasters decided that the keyboard wire
looked like something tasty. The chewing resulted in a mangled wire and
a dead motherboard as the power lead on the PS2 port was shorted out
with the ground lead. I managed to repair the board (surface mount
fuse). I have notice that cat no longer chews on wires dangling from a
PC case :)

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>