[ale] External CD/DVD Writer

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sat Jul 16 07:50:01 EDT 2005

On Saturday 16 July 2005 14:24, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> I'm thinking of buying a couple of external (USB/Firewire) DVD writers
> for the offic.
>
> I definately want to get drives that support Dual Layer* DVD writing
> and work from both WIndows and Linux.
>
> Haven't done any real looking yet, but I saw the LaCie drive for $129.
>
> http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10304
>
> Any thoughts/recommendations?
[snip]

Though I'm only talking about single layer units, my experience with both
Lacie and more generic cases suggests that either will do the job.

I've used a Pioneer DVR 107 burner in a "generic"  ieee1394 / USB 2.0
external combo case. It works fine and is automatically recognized by K3B on
my Mandrake 10 box, as well as all the MacOSeX burning related software (both
system bundle supplied and third party).  The only problem system was an M$
eXcrement Pile box, where connection required driver installs, yet some of
the slightly older third party CD making tools still wouldn't recognize the
drive or would only see it under the USB connection.

Specific to Lacie, two weeks ago I plugged up a borrowed Lacie external burner
on the Mandrake 10 / K3B box for some DVD duplication. Using 1394, the unit
was recognized automatically and functioned fine. The drive in this Lacie
case was an NEC 2500, and K3B let me run in dual disk mode, copying directly
from the internal NEC 1300 A burner in the machine. I've also used this Lacie
burner on MacOSeX systems with good, reliable results.

I think $129 Is a very decent price for a packaged unit, and I know because I
just spent ~$115 to buy and ship the parts for a new external burner. The
burners themselves have REALLY gotten cheap, and the best price I found for
burners supporting dual layer and [ + | - ] [ R | RW ] (everything) was just
$55;   For a couple feature and compatibility reasons, I went with the
Pioneer DVR 109 for $65 I found at <http://surpluscomputers.com>.

There are dozen's of 1394/USB external cases out there, and my experience
from purchasing and using several external hard drive cases is that they are
now fairly consistent in standards compliance and compatibility. I'm taking a
chance with a $35 1394 / USB combo unit I found on clearance at
<http://geeks.com> . I'll find out if this was a good choice when the drive
arrives this week.

peace
(because freedom is only found in peace)
aaron