[ale] ALE FTP Server

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 09:44:17 EDT 2005

I've noticed the slow down from work (Bellsouth DSL) and now I'm at
home (Comcast Cable).

I just started to pull:

ftp://ftp.ale.org/mirrors/suse/i386/9.3/iso/SUSE-9.3-Prof-i386-CD1.iso
   and
ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/suse/suse/i386/9.3/iso/SUSE-9.3-Prof-i386-CD1.iso

I ran the above one at a time, so I should not been having a bandwidth
issue on my end.

Historically I found ALE faster.

At 9:35 this morning, I'm getting:
GaTech  ~400KB/sec    ~30 Min. total
ALE       ~65KB/sec     ~3 Hr.  Total

I've cancelled my downloads.

Greg

On 7/16/05, Dow Hurst <Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com> wrote:
> I've been using the ale server for my 9.3 updates and it is always the
> fastest of the suse defined US servers.  I just used it today and
> yesterday for patches.  Actually, only the first update has real size to
> it, and those are still delta rpms.  Suse switched to delta rpms in 9.x
> series to save bandwidth.  I haven't setup a local source mirror for
> patching but it is possible to do that by having one server pull the
> patches and save them.  Then, you'd point your other local machines to
> that machines repository of patches with ftp, nfs, or http, take your
> pick.  So only during the month or so after a new version comes out will
> the load be extra heavy.  I've not noticed any slowdown from ale.org at
> all, even for remote installs in the last month.
>
> I appreciate the ale server being available like this.  In the past
> there were only a few erratic US servers and the only truly reliable one
> was the suse.de server.  It was always overloaded and very slow.  Now US
> installs default to only US servers and there are several around the
> country that are reliable.  Just my thanks and two cents on the issue,
> Dow
>

> Greg Freemyer wrote:
> >Recently it has seemed to me that the ALE FTP server is running slower
> >than before.
> >
> >Today I finally got around to upgrading a couple of my machines to SUSE 9.3
> >
> >I was very surprised to the the ALE FTP server shown as one of the 5
> >main US update sites.
> >
> >Considering the size of SuSE 9.3s online update and number of 9.3
> >users, could the load be slowing down data transfers?
> >
> >If that is the case, should we consider trying to get Novell to take
> >ALE FTP off the list, or at least make it a secondary site.
> >
> >Greg

Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group
Forensics for the 21st Century