[ale] Best FS to use when doing unclean shutdowns?

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 12 09:06:03 EDT 2005

I've read most all the posts on this thread and wanted to make sure one
point was clear.  A journaling filesystem does not guarantee data won't
be lost.  It only guarantees that the file system integrity will stay
intact after a hard shutdown without sync.  I think the posts that
pointed out the filesystem mount options that force the write to
complete without caching data is very important to your application.

An aside, XFS and Reiserfs have robust tools for checking and fscking a
filesystem with problems the same as ext2fs and ext3fs.  You should make
sure that your filesystem is checked on reboot whichever filesystem you
choose.  I prefer Reiserfs now over XFS since it is better for lots of
small files with the default settings.  XFS is great for very large file
systems, large files, and robust power management of the system since it
aggressively caches data.  I've never had a problem with Reiserfs or XFS
in production that wasn't fixable by the tools unless hardware was
involved.  I've definitely had the same experience with ext2fs and
ext3fs.  Ext3fs has some unique options such as being mountable as
ext2fs if needed.
Thanks,
Dow