[ale] Best FS to use when doing unclean shutdowns?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jul 11 17:00:44 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 14:55 -0400, Claudia Morlan wrote:
> Its purpose is information gathering and will be deployed blindly.  As
> such, once it is installed we will not touch the box until it is
> removed.  This is an embedded device and has no soft-off button only a
> power switch.

Ah, HA! A basic dumb kiosk box.

Make the basic boot section RO (/, /boot, /bin, /sbin). Make the /var a
skeleton that gets populated by a rc.local script.

Put the data collection part on a separate partition. Change the boot
scripts so it is NOT automatically loaded. Force a file-system auto-
repair check on every boot before mounting. Use EXT3 (easy to install
from RedHat and derivatives) or ReiserFS (Mandrake and SUSE) (Debian and
Slackware come with both). Use hdparm to setup no write buffering on the
partition. Use a cron job that runs every minute to perform a "sync" to
keep everything flushed.

Use a second cron job to keep a mirror of the "live" partition as a
backup. In the event the fsck fails for any reason, use the backup
partition to overwrite it with.

Rewire the power switch to only perform a soft-off, controlled power
down and reset.

Alternative #2. Make the data partition append only.