[ale] CRASH recover

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Sun Jul 10 16:58:02 EDT 2005

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 03:58:03PM -0400, adrin at bellsouth.net wrote:
> Well,   earlier this week my slackware 10.0  running Kernel 2.6.XXX
> crashed.   since I have been busy I have just started to try and repair
> it until today.   fsck  found major problems. and all my HDD data is now
> in lost+found.  I have been able to sort out the directories rename them.
> Making a backup copy of everything now.
If all of your data is in lost+found then, most likely, your root directory
was trashed.  Are you running a ext2 or a ext3 file system (or something
else).  If you're running ext2 then you need to switch to ext3, which is
supported on Slackware.

If it's all in lost+found, a first step probably would be to move the
top level dirs in lost+found back to /.

Clearly, your problems are either with a ext2 FS or a bad kernel.  I have
extensive experience with Slackware 10.0 and 10.1 and they are rock solid
with a single crash on about 5 system-years of operation.  (Sticks tongue
out at M$ users.)

> I have noticed that ever since I changed to the new kernel  by upgrading
> and not reinstalling.  I have had trouble on reboots, Usually due to
> power failer.   Also with 2.6  my system would hang when  I complied
> SCSI support in for the Adptec 29160.  Causing fsck to start on the
> next reboot.

> I am just wondering if anyone else knows about problems like this
> with kernel 2.6?   Thinking about going back to 2.4 since I need my SCSI
> backup tape to work just for things like this.  Unless I can get 2.6 to
> install from the CD and see the SCSI card.
Why bother with 2.6?  Yours clearly is unstable.

> Adrin

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]