[ale] Disabling Cache?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 15:22:45 EDT 2005

I have an old machine that I need to use from time to time.  PIII 700MHz.

It has a unique (within my office) configuration of hardware raid and
scsi tape that I don't want to replicate right now.

It has been unreliable recently and I just finished running Memtest on
it.  It runs fine if I have cache disabled, but it runs poorly if I
have cache enabled (via memtest).

Is there a way to boot Linux with the cache disabled?  (I know it will
be slow, but I just need to restore one tape.)

I prefer to use SuSE, and I have SuSE boot CDs from 8.0 forward.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group