[ale] sorting large delimited text files

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 16:11:19 EDT 2005

Well, since you're not above using MS products, you should be able to import
it into Access. Alternatively, MySQL and PostgreSQL support importing from
comma-delimited files, though I don't recall the exact syntax off the top of
my head.

WMM

On 7/6/05, Preston Boyington <PBoyington at polyengineering.com> wrote:

> I have some text files that I need to sort. Each file is (roughly) 2200
> pages (134,000+ rows) of comma delimited text.
>
> the text looks like so:
> 2117496.796445,882112.506031,483.908997
>
> I have tried to import these into OOo (1.0.4) and Excel (2000)
> spreadsheets, but keep hitting their limit on row count (32000 for OOo and
> about 65000 for Excel).
>
> Most likely I will have to sort the files by the third column / number
> (initially at least).
>
> How else can I sort these files quickly?
>
> Thanks,
> Preston

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s