[ale] July 14th ALE Central Meeting

aaron aaron at pd.org
Mon Jul 4 17:04:55 EDT 2005

There have recently been a few requests for more technically oriented topics
for our ALE meeting presentations and, at least for this month, it looks like
those requests will be addressed.

One of ALE's most recognized guru's on Linux security and cryptography,
Michael Warfield, will be our presenter for the July 14th Central meeting.
His talk is entitled "Encrypt This!", and the topic is File and Filesystem
Encryption on Linux:

Abstract:
       On Linux, one can use encryption to encrypt files, directories (of
files), filesystems, partitions, and even entire drives and devices.
But why would you want to do which and when?  This talk will cover
general cryptography within the Linux file systems and how to apply it
appropriately to various threat models.  This will culminate in a step
by step procedure for encrypting all to partitions on your entire hard
drive (including boot, root, and swap) with a USB boot system and why
you may (or may not) want to do this.

Hope this bridges the group's geek gap for a while!  :-)

peace
aaron