[ale] Multiple KVM switches?

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at joimail.com
Mon Jan 31 08:41:51 EST 2005

I've used 10 machines connected to 2 Belkin KVMs for years. The Belkins
were cheap is why I chose them. No problems. But I don't try to keyboard
toggle through them, though this may be possible [dunno], rather push a
button on the KVM. But then I don't often need to switch screens. My
only motivation was to not buy 10 mice, monitors and keyboards  :-)

HTH,
Courtney

Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> Black Box also makes NxM KVMs.  Please check to see what Cybex makes.
>
> Jeff
>
> On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 17:05 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:16:37 -0500, Christopher Bergeron
>><christopher at bergeron.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Guys - I have dual monitors and I had an idea and thought I'd run past
>>>you guys.
>>>
>>>I was thinking about using 2 different KVM switches, and connecting each
>>>monitor output (on the video card, a matrox g450) to a separate KVM.
>>>The net result is to have 4 machines (4 port KVM) and 2 monitors all
>>>[monitor] switchable independently.  The keyboard and mouse would be
>>>tied to the first KVM continuously.
>>>
>>>Let me elaborate:
>>>
>>>I have a linksys KVM that controls monitor #1 and keyboard/mouse.  I can
>>>"toggle" through my first monitor/keyboard/mouse using the CTRL keys
>>>(double click).  Here's what I want to try doing.  By using a different
>>>KVM that changes screens using a DIFFERENT key sequence (ALT would be
>>>perfect).  By connecting my Primary monitor output to one of the KVM's
>>>and connecting my Secondary monitor output to a different KVM, I should
>>>in theory be able to switch which monitor is displaying what.
>>>
>>>This is tricky to explain.
>>>
>>>Can anyone recommend a KVM that switches using a keystroke other than CTRL?
>>>
>>>Does anyone think this won't work?
>>>
>>>Should I send a diagram?
>>>
>>>Is there a better way to do this?  I use multiple operating systems, so
>>>I'm pretty much tied to a hardware solution here.
>>>
>>>Any insight is appreciated.
>>>
>>>Kind regards,
>>>CB
>>>
>>I don't know if you have any real budget to work with, but I've used a
>>16x4 KVM from Rose (IIRC).
>>
>>It was great, up to 16 machines connected to 4 KVM setups.  All 4
>>could be on the same machine, or on 4 random machines.  We used this
>>setup in a lab were each of the servers had unique hardware setups.
>>We were doing T1/E1 R&D, so we needed lots of different test setups
>>available.
>>
>>Greg

s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II