[ale] Multiple KVM switches?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 17:11:18 EST 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:16:37 -0500, Christopher Bergeron
<christopher at bergeron.com> wrote:
> Guys - I have dual monitors and I had an idea and thought I'd run past
> you guys.
>
> I was thinking about using 2 different KVM switches, and connecting each
> monitor output (on the video card, a matrox g450) to a separate KVM.
> The net result is to have 4 machines (4 port KVM) and 2 monitors all
> [monitor] switchable independently.  The keyboard and mouse would be
> tied to the first KVM continuously.
>
> Let me elaborate:
>
> I have a linksys KVM that controls monitor #1 and keyboard/mouse.  I can
> "toggle" through my first monitor/keyboard/mouse using the CTRL keys
> (double click).  Here's what I want to try doing.  By using a different
> KVM that changes screens using a DIFFERENT key sequence (ALT would be
> perfect).  By connecting my Primary monitor output to one of the KVM's
> and connecting my Secondary monitor output to a different KVM, I should
> in theory be able to switch which monitor is displaying what.
>
> This is tricky to explain.
>
> Can anyone recommend a KVM that switches using a keystroke other than CTRL?
>
> Does anyone think this won't work?
>
> Should I send a diagram?
>
> Is there a better way to do this?  I use multiple operating systems, so
> I'm pretty much tied to a hardware solution here.
>
> Any insight is appreciated.
>
> Kind regards,
> CB
I don't know if you have any real budget to work with, but I've used a
16x4 KVM from Rose (IIRC).

It was great, up to 16 machines connected to 4 KVM setups.  All 4
could be on the same machine, or on 4 random machines.  We used this
setup in a lab were each of the servers had unique hardware setups.
We were doing T1/E1 R&D, so we needed lots of different test setups
available.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer