[ale] centos

Matt Magee mattslistmail at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 30 10:14:48 EST 2005

I have not used CentOS, but I did install White Box Linux on a spare
machine.  White Box and CentOS are both based on RHEL with the RH
tradmarks removed.

The most compelling reason I can think of to use a variant of RHEL was
found on White Box's site:

What is the goal for White Box Linux?

To provide an unencumbered RPM based Linux distribution that retains
enough compatibility with Red Hat Linux to allow easy upgrades and to
retain compatibility with their Errata srpms. Being based off of RHEL3
means that a machine should be able to avoid the upgrade treadmill until
Oct 2008 since RHEL promises Errata availability for five years from
date of initial release and RHEL3 shipped in Oct 2003.

Or more briefly, to fill the gap between Fedora and RHEL.