[ale] Getting Linux OS to boot

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jan 28 06:29:33 EST 2005

Trey Sizemore wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:43:16 -0500, "Geoffrey" <esoteric at 3times25.net>
> said:
>
>>Jerald Sheets wrote:
>>
>>>I've got a tiny XP partition, Soalris 10, Fedora 3,
>>>and in a few moments (gesturing wildly at screen)
>>>Ubuntu.
>>
>>Remember the box I brought to Lisa?  It had:
>>
>>FC1,
>>FC2,
>>Mandrake 10.1,
>>Suse 9.0,
>>Suse 9.1
>>Sun Java desktop,
>>Lindows,
>>Xandros
>>
>>I think that was all of them. :)
>>

> Woof!  One disk, two disks?  I'd be curious to see your grub.conf or
> menu.list.

It really was just a study in 'can I do this.'  It was one 80 gig drive,
thus I had 10 gig per distro. It's since long gone as I've restored the
machine for another purpose.

I do have a couple of tri-boot machines that I'd be glad to share the
menu.lst of if you'd like.  What the hey, here is one.  You'll note the
copyright at the top indicating it's (a modified version) from Emperor
Linux.  Just remembered, this actually has four entries.  SuSE 9.2, RHWS
with two different kernels and Winxp.

#
#       copyright 1999-2003 Lincoln D. Durey <www.EmperorLinux.com> GNU-GPL
#       Gazelle GRX500 grub.conf  kern:2419,RedHat  Linux/Win dual-boot
(MBR)
#

# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.

default 0
timeout 15
# splashimage (hd0,5)/usr/share/emperor/emp_splash.xpm.gz
# default saved

title   RedHat Linux Enterprise Workstation 3 with 2.6 kernel

root    (hd0,5)
         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-emp1\
         root=/dev/hda6 ro\
         vga=795\
         apm=off \
         acpi-=on
         # hdc=ide-scsi\

title   RedHat Linux Enterprise Workstation 3
# savedefault
         # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-9.EL ro\

root    (hd0,5)
         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-emp_2424sw\