[ale] OT Speedfactory Problems Anyone?

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Thu Jan 27 15:52:01 EST 2005

For problems like this, traceroute is your friend and can show where
the problem is in seconds!

Before tracerouting, I do:

     ping -c 1 yahoo.com

If it says "unknown host" or fails to output its first line with the
DNS resolution that normally looks like:

     PING yahoo.com (216.109.112.135) from 10.11.12.13 : 56(84) bytes...

then DNS is down.

Regardless of that, know the IP of a system on the Internet and then
do a traceroute to its numeric IP, e.g.,

     traceroute 216.109.112.135

You may want to give the "-n" flag to not do DNS resolution.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]

"Microsoft: Unsafe at any clock speed!"