[ale] Problem Installing Suse 9.2

aaron aaron at pd.org
Thu Jan 27 10:12:55 EST 2005

I am in the process of guiding a friend into Linux land in setting up the
computer that was donated for use in his volunteer work with a youth group.
The system will be used for basic internet and office applications.

I was leaning toward a Mandrake 10.1 install as the best "desktop for newbie"
distro choice, but thought I would use the opportunity to scope out the
current Suse offerings and grabbed the 9.2-FTP-DVD.iso (2004.10.22) from
ftp.ale.org.

Booting from the DVD, the YaST install process gets through the basics and
recognizes the system hardware, displaying a nice browser style screen of
useful installation details, like how it's going to automagically resize the
existing windblows Miserable Excuse partion.

What YaST is NOT finding is the installation software package lists that one
would expect to be on the DVD.

I'm beginning to question if this is a complete install disk or if I'm missing
something. The Readme accompanying the .iso files isn't offering any info on
this.  I can see a directory of ".sel" package selection list files when I
look at the DVD on other systems, but I can't seem to navigate to them from
inside the installation screens and the package manager.

Any helpful info or ideas??

peace
aaron