[ale] Partimage restore and grub

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Wed Jan 26 13:15:41 EST 2005

A few people on the list indicated that they use partimage, maybe they'll have
seen someting like this...I used partimage to back up my root partition on my
old Mepis install, then installed Debian on my laptop.  I restored the mepis
root drive and stuck it on the new laptop drive, so I have:

/dev/hda1 - Windows 2003
/dev/hda2 - Debian Sarge
/dev/hda4 - Mepis root drive
/dev/hda7 - /home drive

When I try to use grub to boot Mepis, it tells me "grub error 17 Cannot mount
selected partition" and dies.  I can mount the drive just fine under Debian,
however, and fsck found no problems with the drive either. I can post my
menu.1st here if needed.  Basically, I just want to be able to boot my old
Mepis install from Grub and use the shared /home for it and Debian, at least
until I am comfortably transferred totally to Debian.

-Jay