[ale] Sendmail latency

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 12:12:16 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 11:37 -0500, Ryan Fish wrote:

> Where are 'max_daemon_children' and 'connection_rate_throttle' set?  I can't
> find them in sendmail.cf or sendmail.mc...

WARNING: starting to adjust these can potentially produce interesting
changes (some good, some bad).  I would recommend you test this on a
testbed before implementing it in a production system.

These 3 changes in sendmail.mc (and then a m4 compile of sendmail.mc)

  define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN', 10)dnl
  define(`confCONNECTION_RATE_THROTTLE', 10)
  define(`confSINGLE_THREAD_DELIVERY',false)

will add these 3 lines to sendmail.cf

  O MaxDaemonChildren=10
  O ConnectionRateThrottle=10
  O SingleThreadDelivery=false

I'm not sure of what Sendmail defaults for those values, but basically
those statements allow up to 10 simultaneous child processes (inbound
and outbound).

-Jim P.