[ale] Sendmail latency

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 22:13:46 EST 2005

You are correct that sendmail (mail in general too) is heavily dependent
upon dns.  Ping alone doesn't necessarily test dns.  Can you 'host' each
machine name and ip successfully?

Make sure that the order is files,dns when you
"grep hosts /etc/resolv.conf"

How many emails does the java applet send at once?  Are we talking
hundreds or thousands?

What format is the email delivered (via the transport class) to the
mailserver?  Is it direct SMTP or file based?

what does 'ps ax | grep sendmail' show?

-Jim P.