[ale] comcast static IP?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 19:23:57 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 17:35 -0500, Brian MacLeod wrote:

> Contract terms, as long as they themselves do not violate local, state,
> or federal statutes, are in fact law, enforced or not.

This can not possibly be true.  Laws are passed by a legislature,
enforced by an governmental body.  Police do not arrest someone who
solely ignores a contract.

> But much like our highways in Atlanta, 55/65 is the law, but officers
> usually choose not to enforce it so strictly.

This is much different.  55/65 is the law established by an elected
legislative body, and enforced by an infrastructure run by an elected
official or an appointee of an elected official.  It's worth nothing
that enforcement of 55/65 has more to do with department policy than
officers themselves.

> A cable or DSL provider will do the same; only when you are blantantly
> violating the law agreed to in contract do they come down on you.

They will send the police after me?  Not.  They *might* choose to sue me
in civil court but would probably just disconnect my service.  At that
point, theft of service would be criminal and fully enforceable.
However, contract interpretation disputes, over a mutually agreed upon
service, are something entirely different.

> No, it doesn't, but at the same time, if you are pulling data through
> your pipe for most of a 24 hour period, they can probably figure you
> have more than one machine back there, and if they wanted to be jerks,
> have every right to shut down your line and make you jump through hoops
> to prove them wrong or to fight that very contract term.

The fact that I am maxing out my connection is no indicator of the
number of PCs/devices.  A standard PC these days has a 100MB ethernet
interface on it.  A cable modem just couldn't keep up.

What if I am running a quad-processor PC or Virtual machines?  What
about a clustered setup?  The possibilities for interpretation are
endless.  The logic just isn't there to back any contractual words,
therefore negating any enforceability.

Here is the list of Comcast *supported* cable interface devices:
http://www.comcast.com/Support/Corp1/FAQ/FaqDetail_2427.html
Are you telling me that full use of 50% of those devices violates my
contact with Comcast?  Not.

-Jim P.