[ale] comcast static IP?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 23 17:50:44 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 17:21 -0500, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 16:17, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>

> > That line of thinking is pretty dated, I don't know of any provider that
> > enforces that mentality today.  Who doesn't have a broadband router at
> > home with at least a printer and wifi device on the same line as their
> > computer?  The DSL/Cable providers have realized that they have no
> > strength inside of a consumer's home other then leased equipment.
> >

> Wrong.  You may think that but you are bound by their terms of service.
> To do what you describe is an extra $5.00 per month.

Wrong?  I have a BB router, a printer, a workstation, a wifi-router, a
Sun, a UPS, and even a Cisco PIX, all hooked up on my home network.  You
are telling me that you think BellSouth or Comcast has the right to
charge me for equipment on my home network?  You are wrong.  They may
think they have the right, but they don't.

Basically an external provider has no means of enforcing terms of
service within my premises where they have no legal authority to
determine what equipment I have.  Just because someone puts words into a
document and calls it "Terms of Service" in no way establishes authority
to enforce said words.

> Static IP?  $14.95 extra.
> https://www.fastaccess.com/content/consumer/products.jsp#dsllite
>

> My Speedfactory service is the same speed as their Xtreme at $44.95 per
> month.  I pay extra for the static IP.  $59.00 per month.  Seems to me
> that $44.95 + $14.95 + $5.00 is more than what I pay.

Well, I don't have BellSouth, I have Comcast so I can't speak to
BellSouth's pricing.  Comcast is ~$42 for 4Mbps down and 384kbps up.
For $10 more you can get 6Mbps down and 768Kbps up.  Not too shabby.
Static IPs fall under a different category, something I don't need, so I
don't track that price.

> Technically you could cheat and not pay the $5.00.  Its the same as
> downloading illegal music from Kazaa.  Stealing.....

LOL!  I don't pay the $5.00, chiefly because I don't use BellSouth. ;-)

-Jim P.