[ale] Load...

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Jan 23 12:00:28 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 10:18 -0500, David Corbin wrote:
> I have system were top is giving this...
>
> top - 10:14:05 up 13 days, 14:01,  1 user,  load average: 3.00, 3.00, 3.00
> Tasks:  56 total,   1 running,  55 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
> Cpu(s):   0.3% user,   0.0% system,   0.0% nice,  99.7% idle
>
> Notice how the load average is exactly 3.00 for all 1, 5 and 15 minutes.  Yet,
> the system is substantially idle.  This is pretty odd to begin with, but
> given the number of automated process on this system, the eveness is quite
> disturbing.
>
> The system does seem to be a bit slugish when used interactively.
> "ps ax" yields nothing that looks suspicious to me, but I'm not sure that's
> worth much.
>
> Ideas?

1. A process is "stuck". Some bug has it in a loop that keeps hitting
the bo with out doing anything. My usual suspects are the "bug-free"
releases of java, the jvm, and any browser.

2. You've been cracked and ps has been replaced. Start running a ps from
a statically compiled version on a CD (Tom's Root Boot floppy will do
fine).