[ale] How to proxy a web app via Apache & SSH?

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Sat Jan 22 17:21:43 EST 2005

    I have a CRM application that I intend, if its successful, to deploy
on an internet hosted server. However, I am still doing testing and
configuration on it so, for now, I want to run it from my local machine
at home yet still be able to access it via my web page. This way I can
see how the thing is running and make a lot of little changes real quick
(like reload the entire database) without being limited by bandwidth or
non-physical access to the machine. This is also a stop-gap temporary
solution and does not warrent setting up IPSec.

    So... my idea is that I would like to be able to use ssh port
forwarding to make it appear that my application is running on the
internet server. My user should be able to go to www.myserver.com/myapp
and have my apache webserver redirect this request via ssh to my inhouse
machine. This will give me a secure connection to my internal host
without having to setup SSL or give away my internal static IP address
to users. Does Apache have this capability? Is my idea a valid one or
more of a PITA than its worth?

    Appreciate any recommendations on getting my idea to work or a
better approach that addresses my issues. Doesn't sound like a hard
thing but I'm a software developer, not a system admin guy. Just know
enough to get by generally.

    thanx & later,

       Ben Scherrey