[ale] Hylafax and Vonage

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jan 20 10:18:13 EST 2005

Brandon Colbert wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>
>> Brandon Colbert wrote:
>>
>>> Upon switching to Vonage, we have lost the ability to connect with
>>> many of our clients.  30-40% of incoming faxes don't complete and
>>> about the same number of outgoing ones do not complete. Are there any
>>> special settings in hylafax to get it to work correctly over VOIP?
>>

>> Is your vonage box sharing the bandwidth with other machines?  You
>> should have it in a location where it's qos will address that issue.
>>
>> That is to say, it shouldn't be, say on a switch with 9 other
>> computers.  The safest place would be between your firewall and the
>> rest of your network.  That way it's protected by the firewall, but
>> can do the qos to the total bandwidth.
>>
> The firewall is first and it has three network cards in it. One
> card/subnet is the WAN connection. Second card/subnet is the LAN. Third
> card/subnet is the VOIP.

Ah, this is very likely your problem.  The voip obviously can not
control the bandwidth of the other two nics.  I don't know of an easy
solution.  You could put the voip in front of the firewall, but I
wouldn't recommend that.

You could likely do some bandwidth control on the firewall, but that's
beyond my experience.

--
Until later, Geoffrey