[ale] Upgrade hell

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Jan 19 06:51:30 EST 2005

Cor van Dijk wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>> I'd first go with a newer version.  I've installed SuSE 9.2 on all
>> kinds of hardware.  The main hangup is enough memory.  I've got a
>> pentium 166 laptop with Suse 9.2 (128mb memory).
>>
> Hey, my RH Enterprise 3.3 is from Oct 2003!

Hey, I've got a copy of Netscape (1.1) on a floppy, but that doesn't
mean I use it. :)

> I have Suse 8.2, it is from 2003, but its documentation barely mentions
> usb,
> and says nothing at all about being suitable for a laptop. I hate to sit
> there
> for an hour or so repartitioning and what not and then be told no go.
>
> But thanks for the tip about Suse 9.2 ( MicroCenter or Fry?)
> I may try that.

You'll pay through the nose at either, you can download a variation of
9.2 pro from SuSE.  I say a variation as it is a dvd which is around 4g,
whereas the packaged version I have is a dual-layer dvd with over 7g.

> Cor
>
> Answer to Dow Hurst: yes, it is a Sony Viao PCG-F630, thanks.

The specs say the video card is a trident cyberblade i7 graphics chip.

--
Until later, Geoffrey