[ale] Cheap dialtone for DSL

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jan 18 06:04:00 EST 2005

Jason Fritcher wrote:

> I've been round and round with people at BellSouth about how cheaply I can
> get a plain, no frills dial tone, but the cheapest they seem to be willing
> to offer is almost $30/mo. For a phone line that won't be making/receiving
> any calls, that is absolutely ridiculous. One customer no-service rep
> actually tried arguing with me that DSL requires a flat rate voice account,
> otherwise I'd end up with a bazillion dollar phone bill for usage charges.
> To say the least, I'm quite frustrated by the level of contempt and
> disservice coming from BS. If there wasn't already a hearing going with the
> GPSC, I'd be tempted to start filing complaints with them.

I'd contact the PSC anyway.  I also wouldn't tell them on the phone the
purpose of the line.  Simply tell them you're looking for a low cost
phone line.  $30 is real high.  I'm paying about that much for my one
line that has all the frills. (all the calling services as well as
privacy director).

> Sorry about venting so much, but this has been really frustrating, and
> all I
> want is to find the cheapest dial tone I can get to get a DSL line
> provisioned. I'd prefer not to pay more than $10/mo before taxes and other
> crap fees. Anyone know of any CLECs offering cheap voice lines? :)

I'm afraid BellSouth is simply going to screw themselves.  Between their
customer dis-service and raping customers with fees, they'll not likely
realize until it's too late as folks continue to jump ship.  There
solution is not unlike Microsoft.  Force people to stay with you, when
they try to leave, charge them more...

--
Until later, Geoffrey