[ale] Cheap dialtone for DSL

Jason Fritcher jkf at wolfnet.org
Mon Jan 17 22:04:57 EST 2005

Hello,

This isn't exactly Linux related, but there seems to be a lot of people here
with DSL provisioning experience, so I thought I'd throw this out and see
what people thought.

I'm currently using Comcast for cable modem service, but want to drop them
for DSL so I can move my server back home. I had a nice chat with a sales
rep at SpeedFactory and found out that DSL service is available through a
remote terminal where I live. So, I'm excited about getting DSL setup, but
there is a small wrinkle in that I don't have a landline. I have Vonage and
a cell phone for when I need to make calls.

I've been round and round with people at BellSouth about how cheaply I can
get a plain, no frills dial tone, but the cheapest they seem to be willing
to offer is almost $30/mo. For a phone line that won't be making/receiving
any calls, that is absolutely ridiculous. One customer no-service rep
actually tried arguing with me that DSL requires a flat rate voice account,
otherwise I'd end up with a bazillion dollar phone bill for usage charges.
To say the least, I'm quite frustrated by the level of contempt and
disservice coming from BS. If there wasn't already a hearing going with the
GPSC, I'd be tempted to start filing complaints with them.

This reminds me of how the cable companies charge you a "no tv tax" for
getting cable modem service but not getting cable tv service. Except in this
case, BS doesn't even bother with the lube as they stick it to ya. I talked
to 3 different customer no-service reps, and 2 different managers about why
BS quit offering metered accounts and how $30/mo is totally insane for
someone who needs dial tone to satisfy a money grubbing requirement to
getting DSL. Especially when exactly 0 minutes/mo will be used on that voice
line. I'm not going to get started on dry DSL. :)

</rant>

Sorry about venting so much, but this has been really frustrating, and all I
want is to find the cheapest dial tone I can get to get a DSL line
provisioned. I'd prefer not to pay more than $10/mo before taxes and other
crap fees. Anyone know of any CLECs offering cheap voice lines? :)

Thanks for your time.

--
Jason Fritcher
jkf at wolfnet.org