[ale] permissions

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Jan 16 22:57:13 EST 2005

ringo wrote:
> I'm using SUSE 9.2, I just installed it and I'm the only user.
> When compiling a program I get an error "cannot create file
> '/l/lib/libtrk.a': Permission denied.
> When I browse to the folder an dlook at properties it says only the
> "owner" can change the permissions. Why am I not the owner and how do I
> fix it?

Depending on what you're compiling, it may require root perms to install
the package.  In this case you should simply switch to root as in:

su

It will ask for a password, which you should recall from your install.

Once you're done, change back to your normal user.  You don't want to be
root unless it's necessary.

--
Until later, Geoffrey