[ale] Bellsouth DSL

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Mon Jan 10 10:54:14 EST 2005

to refine my original point though (before this thread turns into a
pointless "I hate spammers why don't you" sort of thread): I think that
it is perfectly responsible of an ISP to block port 25 *outbound*. This
should help with the botted spam factory machine problem. Even with
speedfactory, I consider it polite of me to forward all my mail from mta
through their outbound mailserver (something I did with bellsouth as well).

I've yet to hear an argument for blocking port 25 *inbound* that made
sense however.

And yes, SPF holds promise, but I doubt it will eliminate all spam, and
the over/under on widespread enough implementation of it to the point
where it makes a difference is probably 3 - 5 years.

Speedfactory is a little more expensive ,but not enough so where my
expense reports have been rejected, thankfully. If I were paying for it
myself, I'd consider it worth the expense. The first time you need
support, and don't have to spend an hour on hold to talk to someone sans
clue the extra couple of bucks a month is worth it.

Mike

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 07:25 -0800, Jerald Sheets wrote:
>

>>And after reading this again..
>>
>>Why don't you (instead of slamming someone's choice of
>>ISP's) get behind a sound solution like Sender Policy
>>framework + secure sendmail/postfix/qmail
>>implementation?
>

> I have, long before you suggested it too.
>

>>Everywhere I've implemented this, the
>>company's problems with Spammers using their email
>>address space for spamming has just quietly withered
>>away.
>>
>>Choose a technical route and support standards.
>

> Yes, SMTP Auth and MSA *are* standards, ones you are ignoring.
>

>>(and yes, I use SPF on my DNS servers on my
>>Speedfactory service)
>

> Your use of SPF doesn't really help you one bit.  It helps others to
> verify that your IPs are authorized (something you don't seem to support
> on SMTP) to send email for your domains.
>
> -Jim P.

Mike Murphy
781 Inman Mews Drive Atlanta GA 30307
Landline: 404-653-1070