[ale] Bellsouth DSL

Jerald Sheets jsheets at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 09:02:29 EST 2005

> > I use Yahoo too (obviously), so why do you need
> POP3 and SMTP ports open
> > on your upstream network?

Because I use Yahoo POP access.  you know, the service
you elected not to pay for.

I pay $19.99/yr to have more storage space (I
regularly receive files in excess of 10M via email),
enhanced SPAM protection with throwaway addresses (as
many as I like), and I have a considerably larger
number of filters, blocks, etc.

I mean, these are all the services we had free when
yahoo! was announced in '93 (or was it '92??)

the reason I use their SMTP and POP is because I pay
for the privilege.  Why should BellSouth force me to
use their servers?  when I was on BellSouth back in
Baton Rouge, their mail servers and SMTP was down so
much that I scripted an automated email to support for
letting them know when their email server went down.
(this was during the NT/Imail trials)

After all, if I want to receive and send email from 7
different POP/SMTP locations (which I have), then I
should be allowed to do so.

For *YEARS* I have asked for an ISP that doesn't treat
me like a moron...someone who will give me an IP and
bandwidth, and leave me the F%^&* alone.  Speedfactory
does that, and I appreciate them for it.

And I can guarantee you that when I start doing some
hosting, I will do my best to keep Speedfactory
involved.  They know how to be the ISP for a techie,
and I will show my appreciation for that as much as I
can and in any way that I can.

--JMS