[ale] Bellsouth DSL

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 9 03:12:17 EST 2005

I've been a long time customer of Comcast, and despite opinions
expressed on this list, I decided to try out Bellsouth's DSL service.

In short, I like it.  What I don't understand is why did I not have all
the problems that others seemed to have had, or more interestingly what
I would really like to know is why did my setup go so easy.  All I had
to do was put the DLS filter in-line with my phone, connect a a RJ11
cable between the filter and the modem (Westell) and plug an ethernet
cable from the modem into my linux laptop.  I then pointed my webbrowser
at http://192.168.1.254 and configured my Bellsouth username and
password before pressing the Connect button.  Immediately it pulled down
an IP and associated info.  Since I wanted to attach the DSL line to my
home network, via a switch port on my Linksys AP, I turned off the DHCP
server on the Westell and changed it's internal static IP to
192.168.3.254.

Why is that process so painful for all those people who call Bellsouth
names?

-Jim P.