[ale] Linux Live CD (WiFi Audit) for PPC?

Raylynn Knight audilover at speedfactory.net
Sat Jan 8 00:38:21 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 17:16 -0500, Barry Hawkins wrote:
> <SNIP>
> ~    Of course, it depends upon your goals, but if you are looking to run
> a distro on PowerPC, I would recommend at least entertaining Debian,
> installing via one of the daily images from the new installer[1].  That
> is my distribution of choice.
> (NOTE: I refuse to spiral into another fruitless distro thread, so if
> anyone gets the notion, do us all a favor.  And if you don't own a Mac,
> trust me, you are in no position to comment on how suitable a distro is
> for PowerPC architecture - unless you have an IBM pSeries sitting at
> home 8^).)
> ~    Which Mac you have also predetermines how much hell you will go
> through getting it to run.  Airport Extreme does not work, nor will it,
> and later ATI cards don't have very stable sleep support yet.  nVidia
> card-based Macs can forget about sleep capability.

I'll second the fact that Debian (or Debian-based) is about the only way
to go for some PowerPC systems.   I can easily get the Debian installer
to handle my NuBus based PowerMacs, but the Fedora, SuSE, YellowDog and
Mandrake installers only seem to work with the kernel they deliver
(which doesn't support NuBus based PowerMacs).  And if you want Linux on
an m68k based system (Mac or other) Debian is the only supported
distribution.

--
Raylynn Knight <audilover at speedfactory.net>