[ale] OT - Linux Based Web Hosting Services

Alan Dobkin ALE at MaestroIT.com
Fri Jan 7 09:48:28 EST 2005

On 1/7/2005 12:16 AM, Bob Kruger wrote:

> Storage - 30GB
> Bandwidth - 600GB
>
> Price $16.95/month if paid for two years.

This plan is completely insane.  There is no way any reliable web
hosting company can afford to offer this if their clients actually use
the allotted storage and/or bandwidth.  Keep in mind that 600 GB of
bandwidth basically equates to giving you a full *dedicated* 2 MB pipe
and saturating it for an entire month!  This is like having more than
your own full T1 in a data center environment, which normally costs over
20 times what they are charging.  And 30 GB is a big chunk of space on a
server, assuming it is in some type of RAID and backed up on a regular
basis.

The only thing I can imagine is that they are counting on the majority
of their customers paying for this service and then only using a tiny
portion of it.  They may also be using cheap/unreliable hard drives and
may not be doing regular backups.  If a significant percentage of their
customers actually *use* the space/bandwidth allocated in that plan, I
expect it would quickly put them out of business, assuming they are
actually able to deliver it in the first place.

Do you really need that much storage space and/or bandwidth from your
hosting provider?

Alan