[ale] Problems w/ (VERY) new hardware...

Nathan J. Underwood ale1 at cybertechcafe.net
Wed Jan 5 17:12:35 EST 2005

I'll take a shot at this, but you may want to wait to see if I get a
tongue lashing or brow beating before you follow the instructions:

1) Download the nvidia installer that was mentioned before, and note
where you save it (/home/<yourname> maybe?)
2) Using your file manager of choice, make a copy of the file
/etc/inittab (when doing this, I generally make a copy with a date stamp
and sequence.  For example, the first time I edited it today, I'd make a
copy called /etc/inittab.bak-5jan2k51)
3) Using your text editor of choice, open the file /etc/inittab (the one
you just made a backup of), and look for a section (most likely at the
very top) that talks about "Default Runlevel" (example below).  Change
the first non-comment line (i.e. the first one that doesn't start with
the #) to id:3 rather than id:5.
** Now, the next time you reboot, you're going to boot into text only mode.
4) Reboot your computer, you'll boot into text only mode
5) At the login prompt, login as root
6) Navigate to where you saved the nvidia installer
7) Run the installer.  The instructions on the nvidia website will
probably be helpful here
8) Once complete, copy your original /etc/inittab (the backup) to the
actual /etc/inittab.  To do this, you should be able to just:
cp /etc/inittab.bak-5jan2k51 /etc/inittab
This will set it to boot back into graphical mode

Before you do this, wait for a few folks to respond to make sure I've
not left anything out, but I think that this should get you going.  Hope
this helps, and welcome to Linux!!

== Begin Example ==
# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:
    ^ change this to 3
== End Example ==