[ale] Distro Reply

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 12:51:46 EST 2005

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 12:25:28 -0500, Raylynn Knight
<audilover at speedfactory.net> wrote:

> And just how many production servers are running a prism54 wireless
> card?

Probably not many, but there are several thousand...if not
million...Dell Poweredge systems out there with PERC3 RAID controllers
which are notoriously flaky with 2.2.x series kernels regardless of
the driver used. I had better stability with NT4 SP3 on those systems
back in the 2.2 days! 2.4.(somewhere around 18) cured all that. We can
discount the prism cards all day long, but are you willing to brush
off a key component in one of the most widely deployed x86 server
lines? Then of course there's the issue of systems with more than 2GBs
of RAM, but who ever heard of such a silly thing as a production
machine with a lot of RAM? Patches? Patches?!!! We don't need no
steenking patches. There's this nifty project called the 2.4 series
kernel.

--
Jonathan