[ale] Distro Reply

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 16:35:20 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 16:01 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:

> No, I'm not.  The point is, point me to any other distro that's sitting
> on kernel 2.2 as the default kernel at this time?

There isn't one that I know of.

> I know the kernels are still maintained, but there are things in 2.4/2.6
> that you will not find in 2.2.

Very true.  Why go with a 2.2 kernel then?  Debian Stable is not what
you want if you don't want a 2.2 or 2.4 kernel.  HOWEVER, if you were
looking for a stable distribution, and you didn't need kernel 2.6
features, then Debian Stable is arguable one of the *most* stable
distributions out there.

> There are changes that can not be backported.

"Changes" generally are not the purpose of backporting.  "Fixes" is a
more appropriate word.

-Jim P.