[ale] Distro Reply

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Mon Jan 3 22:27:44 EST 2005

Jeff,

	I mainly agree with your desire premise but not your conclusion. Sticking to a commercial
linux vendor does not mean you are dependent on a single source so long as you have all the
'Source' of your implementation. Back in my bleeding edge days (less so now), I was happily
downloading the latest kernel and doing custom builds with beta versions of gcc, etc... all on top of
'commercial' linux platforms. Open Source is the solution to your desire - commercial support is an
attractive option for most companies (and many individuals). If I were a company with more than 25
linux installs that had to be maintained, I'd likely build my own internal distribution - either from
scratch, or on top of an existing one. Its really not that hard to do. As linux becomes more
mainstream, however, more options become available and this is good for everyone. Being
mainstream means more general users and more profit potential which is what attracts the
commercial intrests. I'm very happy to have both the big commercial interests and the
hippie/commie folk all doing their best to make linux out in their own image - just as long as they
keep it open. No harm no foul.

	best regards,

		Ben Scherrey

PS: Just an interesting anecdote that is a great example of your fears - I had a BIG client who used
Cognos in a pretty big way. They were running into problems so we debugged it and determined
that it was generating some incorrect SQL. We pointed the problem out to the vendor who agreed it
was a bug but they weren't "big enough of a customer" to warrent a bug fix and if our client would
only buy more of the product they'd get that taken care for us very soon. Apparently 5 figures isn't
big enough for them... you can almost imagine our answer. An Open Source vendor can't hold that
over you.