[ale] Distro

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Jan 2 16:14:32 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 14:51, Brandon Colbert wrote:
> I am looking for a new distro to use. I am currently a
> redhat/fedora/mandrake fan, but I want to try something new. The distro
> has to give free updates, and can be used as a workstation and server.
> Can I get some feedback on these distro's: FreeBSD, Slackware, Debian,
> and Gentoo.

If you want to stay in the Linux realm, in order: Slackware, Debian.
Gentoo is solid but very much a PIA to set
up/buildallfromscratchevery#$%&ingtime. Slackware is very much like
old-world unix. Debian has a very solid support community but is slow on
the complete system upgrades. You have to run "testing" to get close to
the current stuff that Slackware/RedHat/et al are using. Is that a good
thing? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

The big advantage to Slackware is it can be pared down to a very tiny
system with nothing in it but exactly what you want. The only
disadvantage to Slack is it has a much smaller community suppport base
than Debian. It's bigger than Gentoo, however :)

To sum up, both Slack and Debian are well suited for multi-purpose
desktop/server setups. Slack is a bit more geared toward servers and
Debian a bit more toward desktops.

Gentoo would be good if you had a large number of identical machines to
install to. Do one big emerge/install to one machine and then dd the
drive around to the others. Or maybe rsync. Once you get past about 2
machines, Gentoo is way too slow to install with. Needs _fast_ hardware
for all that compilation.

Load 'em all and see which one you like most. That's the most fun of
Linux :)